Angioplasty is also called balloon angioplasty in which obstructed arteries or veins are widened using a balloon catheter passed into the narrowed locations over a wire .The balloon forces the obstructed arteries or veins to open up for improved blood flow .The balloon is then collapsed and withdrawn. At the time of ballooning a stent is inserted to keep the vein’s open.
The different types of angioplasty are
- Coronary Angioplasty- Coronary angioplasty is used to treat blockages in the heart.
- Peripheral angioplasty- Peripheral angioplasty is done to treat leg and renal arteries caused by peripheral artery disease and atherosclerotic narrowing of the abdomen. In peripheral angioplasty a balloon is used outside the coronary arteries to open a blood vessel.
- Carotid angioplasty- Carotid angioplasty is performed for patients at high risk for carotid endarterectomy.
- Renal Artery Angioplasty- Renal artery angioplasty is often taking care of obstruction of renal artery with or without stenting.
- Venous Angioplasty -Venous angioplasty is a procedure to treat Venous stenosis.
Angioplasty in India is a routine procedure with some of the best heart hospitals in India, offering not just heart surgery but also interventional cardiology which is less invasive.
Cost of angioplasty in India would vary from US$ 3300 to US$ 6800 depending upon number of stents and the quality of stents.
Usually safe, some complications which may happen as follows:
During angioplasty procedure an artery may unexpectedly close which may result heart attack. If during angioplasty a blood clot is dislodged it will completely block the artery and also may trigger a heart attack.
Restenosis is the narrowing of an artery or valve after corrective surgery may also happen post angioplasty.
To prevent the formation of blood clots and restenosis, anti clotting drugs are used.
After an angioplasty surgery, the artery walls may start to shrink to their original position.
Thrombin created by blood clots forms new tissue which helps the healing process. Too much tissue formation would reduce the flow of blood through artery.
Post Operative Care
After angioplasty your doctor or nutritionist will guide you about your diet and also provide you a diet chart. it is better to follow diet plan after the procedure for heart patients. Eat small meals throughout the day as appetite loss is a common side effect of angioplasty.
Cut down your salt and sugar intake like cakes, biscuits and chocolates. Avoid all alcoholic beverages and also reduce caffeinated products intake.
Add intake of fish, skinless chicken, egg (avoid egg yolk, egg whites are fine), vegetables and lot of fresh fruit in your diet. It is advisable to limit your fat intake also.
After the angioplasty procedure patient may face some unpleasant symptoms although it’s a minimally invasive technique. You may feel tiredness and fatigue which is normal but fainting, weakness, shortness of breath, chest pain, swelling may be warning signs in which case it is best to contact your doctor immediately .
After angioplasty procedures consult your doctor before you start to exercise.
Smokers are advised to quit smoking to avoid the risk of complications.