In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
In Vitro Fertilization, or simply known as IVF, is a cycle used to fertilize an egg with sperms. IVF is an infertility treatment and helps couples have children. In this process, healthy quality eggs are retrieved from your ovaries and get fertilized by sperm in a lab. Infertility affect men and women equally.
- Causes of infertility
- Damage of Fallopian tube
- Hormonal causes
- Immature eggs
- Cervical causes
- Uterine causes
- Poor quality sperms
Symptoms of infertility are often as follows:
- Abnormal Periods: Bleeding for longer, sometimes heavier and lighter than regular.
- Skipping periods: Painful periods. Early periods or extra number of days in which each period varies every month.
- Genital infection
- Pelvic infection
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Endocrine Dysfunction
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Semen analysis and blood test are consulted, when the infertility is suspected with male. Semen analysis evaluates the health and number of sperms, while blood test is performed to verify the testosterone level and other male hormones.
- Female infertility is diagnosed through multiple tests.
- The blood test is performed to examine the conditions and level of female hormones
- Endocrine Biopsy to check the lining of the uterus.
Two tests are performed to detect tubal obstructions which are hysterosalpingography (HSG) and laparoscopy
During IVF, the embryos are prepared in the IVF lab for 2-6 days before the transfer procedure. Later, the embryos will get placed into the woman’s uterus to implant and develops into a live child, even if the Fallopian tube is damaged. Hundreds of babies are now born every year through the IVF without any complications and discomfort.
Some of the IVF procedures are
- IVF with ICSI (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection): In this process, only one sperm will get injected into the center of the egg in a lab to become an embryo and then the embryo gets transferred to the woman’s uterus.
- IVF with egg donation: in this process, a woman donates eggs for the assisted reproduction process. The donated egg is then fertilized with sperm in a lab and later the egg is transferred into another woman’s uterus.
- IVF with Laser Assisted hatching: This procedure is performed in the cleavage stage of the fertilized egg to assist the embryo in breaking the outer shell to facilitate the implantation process.
- IVF +ICSI+ Optical Spindle View: In this process, a device is used to depart the light while passing through the egg to observe the egg accurately.
- IVF +ICSI+ Testicular Biopsy: This process is used to diagnose the causes of male infertility. A tiny sample of tissue is removed from the testicles to evaluate a male’s ability to become a father.
Some of the side effects that a patient may suffer from post IVF are
- Multiple Births
- Premature delivery
- Low child weight
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
- Birth defects
- Egg retrieval procedure complications
Post operative care
After going through the IVF procedure, you need to take several precautions in order to enlarge the possibilities of a successful IVF treatment. Women should not attempt to carry out heavy activities or participate in vigorous sexual intercourse; this could bring fatal effects on the treatment procedures. Here are some of the safety precautions and activities that you should avoid after IVF treatment for infertility issues.
- Avoid energetic activities which include forceful physical movements.
- Avoid heavy workouts and exercises
- Quit smoking
- Try to avoid caffeine for as much as possible
- Don’t participate in vigorous sexual intercourse
- Avoid lifting heavy weight
- Avoid alcohol consumption or any other narcotic substance
- Avoid sunbath and swimming
IVF in India is offered through hospitals and also independent IVF clinics though it is imperartive to check success rate of IVF too as sometimes many cycles are required, which adds to emotional trauma and IVF pregnancy cost as well.
Cost of invitro fertilization or cost of IVF is ususlly quoted per cycle and varies between US$ 4500-US$ 6600.