Brain Aneurysm Surgery
Brain aneurysm is a bulge in the blood vessel in the brain. As it can rupture and leak , it can cause bleeding in the brain which is called hemorrhagic stroke .If aneurysm occurs between the brain and the tissue covering the brain, then this type of aneurysm is called subarachnoid hemorrhage.
In case of aneurysm patient need prompt medical treatment.
Sometimes aneurysm doesn’t rupture but create some health problems.
If aneurysm doesn’t rupture then common symptoms are headache , eye pain ,numbness, neck pain or sometimes no symptoms at all .
But if aneurysm ruptures then common symptoms include
a severe headache
a drooping eyelid
numbness in the body
If aneurysm is smaller than 3millimeters then prompt medical treatment may not be required
A brain aneurysm can be corrected in many ways . The most preferred procedures are
In this procedure a polymer material is used to stop the blood flow through the aneurysm.
During endovascular repair the surgeon makes a small incision near patients groin and the second incisions into your artery. The surgeon then inserts a small wire through groin to your artery which leads aneurysm in your brain. A catheter (which is a thin tube) follows the wire. Through catheter the surgeon install the wire in to the aneurysm. The wire coils into a ball, which initiates a blood clot. The clot then will prevent the aneurysm from rupturing.
In this procedure the surgeons makes an incision into the scalp and creates a hole in the skull and places a small metal clip at the base of aneurysm and prevent it from rupturing.Your hospital stay could be for one week or two if there were complications.
Post operative care:
- As prescribed by your doctor take your medication properly on time.
- Do not take two or more pain medicine at the same time.
- Avoid taking alcoholic beverages.
- A normal diet like low-fat foods like rice, sauté, boiled chicken , yoghurt can be followed
- Fluid intake must be checked with the doctor
- Resting time should be 4 weeks. Incase work involves machinery, 3 months is the minimum recommended resting time.
- Do more rest as it will help you recover faster .
- Always use a pillow and avoid lying flat.