Elbow replacement is a king of surgery to swap the elbow joint with false joint parts.
The elbow is a crux joint that consists of three bones:
- The upper arm bone (aka humerus)
- The forearm bone (aka ulna)
- The forearm bone on the thumb side (aka radius)
In elbow replacement surgery, the injured portions of the humerus & ulna are substituted with the false mechanism. The non-natural elbow joint is prepared up of a metal and synthetic crux along with two metal stems. Patients are given all-purpose anaesthesia prior to surgery. An incision is made on the rear of the patient’s elbow so that the doctor can observe the elbow joint. A tool known as a drill is used to make an opening in the centre of the two arm bones. False joints are generally glued in place into every bone & thus they are associated with a crux. The injury is then stopped with stitches and a bandage.
There are numerous factors that cause elbow pain and direct patients to go for elbow replacement surgery. Some of them are as follows:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – In this case, synovial covering that environs the joint becomes swollen and thickened.
- Osteoarthritis - The cartilage that facilitates the skeleton of the elbow gets softer and wears away.
- Post-Traumatic Arthritis – These are basically fractures of the bones that comprise the parts that make up the elbow.
Elbow Replacement Surgery
Initially, the surgeon removes the subordinate ending of the humerus and the higher end of the ulna, along with injured tissue. The doctor then drills out a part of the humerus and ulna and then pushes one stem of the prosthesis into all. The two stems are then merged with the crux method.
Most frequent complications are:
- Viral Infections
- Injury to the blood vessels
- Sensitivity in response to the false joint
- Rigidity or unsteadiness of the joint
- A flaw in the tendons of the arm
It is essential for the patient to stay in the hospital for at least 3-4 days. A support might be worn post surgery to take care of the elbow. Most importantly, the patient should not elevate more than 2.5 kg weight even after completely improved.
Elbow replacement surgery generally reduces pain and helps your elbow to functon better. But it might not build the joint as fine as it was prior to the ailment. Also. It is advisable to keep away from strenous activities.